Thursday, March 10, 2011

Snow

I realize it is now almost Spring (Halelujah!), but here's another analogy I wrote several weeks ago:

            According to Webster, snow is defined as, precipitation in the form of small white ice crystals formed directly from the water vapor of the air at a temperature of less than 32°F.
Well, I would say they definitely got the “temperature of less than 32°F” part right. It’s freezing outside! It is a refreshing cold though, and it most definitely makes me grateful for hot chocolate or coffee and a nice, warm blanket. How often I fail to express my gratitude for such luxuries as a nice, warm place to stay and a comfortable bed...so, thank you Lord for this heated office in which I now sit and type.
            As I walk around camp and trudge through the mid-calf deep snow I can’t help but admire it. It’s so white and pure and beautiful. It covers all of the mud and dirt that was there before-trading mess and muck for a layer of glorious, pure magnificence. Especially before it has been stepped on by animals and people, the sight is breath-taking.
In so many ways, our Father in Heaven is like a beautiful snowfall in our lives. He takes the mud and the muck-the impurities, the holes and scars and brokenness-and He covers them with a layer of beautiful, pure snow. He showers it so generously that we cannot even see the dirt anymore-it’s all covered up by His love. How insanely awesome is that?
            The snow-covered ground is perfect until it gets trampled on. We too, like the ground, get trampled by life. We are stepped on by people and temptations and the various hardships of our lives. It’s painful, and it ruins the perfection of the snow that has fallen. The mud starts to show up again. And even worse, the snow begins to melt. It leaves the ground even more muddy and mucky than before. I think that we have times when we allow ourselves to fall away from God, and when that happens in our lives the snow-the protection and perfection that come from our Savior-begins to melt. We are left in the mess, and our imperfections and inadequacies are made even more evident than before.
            The snow is also cool because it comes to us in various intensities. Sometimes, the snow just gently falls to the Earth-sometimes it comes in the form of a blizzard. Sometimes the snowfall is steady, and other times it comes in spurts.


Father,
I thank You for allowing me to be in a place that is surrounded by Your glorious nature. Your fingerprints are all over this place, and I am in awe of Your creation. Thank You for giving me the opportunity to absorb this beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment