Sunday, April 17, 2011

Cliché

Cliché: A phrase or expression that lacks freshness or originality
·         You are what you eat
·         The grass is always greener on the other side
·         Curiosity killed the cat
·         If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again
·         Calm before the storm
·         I’m so hungry, I could eat a horse!

There are plenty more where those came from!
Ever find a new song that you really, really like? I know when I do, I listen to it incessantly. (Ask Erika…I’m pretty sure I’ve ruined a few songs for her by repeatedly playing them in the office). Anyway, I like something, so I want more and more and more of it. This also counts for food. PB&J-classic, right? I’ve loved it since I was a kid. Eat it every day for a few months though, and the mere thought of bread, peanut butter, and jelly in the same sentence will leave you wanting to hurl. Same with the songs-after I listen to one about 87 times, I’m going to get sick of it. Unfortunately, it’s going to lose much of the meaning it once had, and I’ll more than likely not remember the song with fondness for at least a little while. “Your Love” by Brandon Heath-great song. If you play it anywhere near me in the next few weeks though, I may blow a gasket. Just kidding, but you probably shouldn’t test it.

I remember in high school English classes my teachers would always warn us not to use cliché phrases. They wanted us to find unique ways of expressing our thoughts-in our own words. I most definitely understand their reasoning and heart behind this advice, but how does a phrase or word become cliché? I mean, at one point it had to be an original thought. The first person who said, “Cool beans” probably did not realize the implications it would have for future Americans. Kidding again…but really, what makes it cliché? Does a cliché cease to have importance or meaning just because it’s been thrown around a few too many times?

So, why do clichés matter? Why am I thinking about them? Great questions! Here’s the deal: at times, I can treat Scripture verses-the TRUTH of God-as cliché. I can take the Truths handed to me by pastors & people of incredible faith and my heart can be hardened to them. I don’t think I’m alone in this, but maybe-hopefully-I am. It’s terrifying, because we desperately need to remember how in need we are of a Savior every minute of every day. I don’t want to have a hardened heart. I don’t want to take for granted the power of Scripture or the meaning of the stories I’ve heard since I was a child. Examples (more than likely, we all know these...probably even have them memorized):
·         John 3:16-“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life”.
·         Philippians 4:13-“I can do all things through Him who gives me strength”
·         Proverbs 3:5-6- “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight”
·         Galatians 5:22-23- “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Against such things there is no law”
The list could go on I’m sure. Songs like “Jesus Loves the Little Children” are the same way. I need to keep reading those verses and singing those songs though. I need to stop taking them for granted or writing them off. I’ll admit that sometimes when I hear someone say Philippians 4:13, I’m tempted to roll my eyes. Why, Danielle? That is NOT okay. There is incredible power and Truth in that short little sentence, and having it memorized or hearing it a bajillion and 2 times should not make me view it as any less true. Yes, Jesus does love the little children-and we are included in that. Jesus loves me! He loves You! How incredibly awesome is that? Those words-Jesus loves you-may be thrown around a whole lot, but they sure do matter just as much today as they did the first time they were said.

Easter is coming up, too (obviously). I’ve heard the story about Jesus dying on the cross for me too many times to count. I know lots of people have it pretty much memorized. I know that I’ve read the account without feeling too much, and I know I sometimes view it as cliché. Since I’ve heard it and know it, I can tend to belittle it-I don’t let it keep impacting me. But, I can’t keep doing that. I cannot take it for granted. I cannot let myself just see it as a simple story. Cliché or not, the verses and songs and the Truth matter immensely.

So, I don’t want to take any of this stuff for granted ever. I don’t want you to, either.
God, please help us. Challenge us and show us if we are starting to see any part of You or our faith in You as cliché, and help us find meaning in all of it. We love You, and we need You.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing what God's been teaching you Danielle!

    On a side note - I just heard "Your Love" on the radio this morning for the first time since Friday, and surprisingly enough I didn't cringe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed these insights, as I enjoy having a friend like you. =) cliche I don't think so. =)

    ReplyDelete